Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 3

More milestones to report today!

While I was in visiting Lewis with my parents, Dr. Kinney (one of the neonatologists) stopped by for an exam. He decided it was time to start feeding Lewis with a bottle! Our nurse said that she would feed him around 2 this afternoon. So we planned our day around that.

Lauren had a visit from her doctors today, too. They said that they will be discharging her tomorrow! Once she's discharged we'll head over to the Renucci House where they have a room ready for us. It will be nice to still be so close to the hospital.

The new grandparents and aunts had their final visit with Lewis around noon before they headed back home to Illinois. I'm glad everyone was able to make it up here to meet him.

So back to Lewis - we went down around 1:45 so we could be there to help with his care and feed him. Lauren and I switched jobs today. She took Lewis's temperature and I got to change his diaper (although it wasn't dirty). We also got to put little socks on his feet! After all that he was ready for some food. Lauren took the bottle and started to feed him. The nurse helped prop him up a little bit since he has to eat on his stomach. Dr. Kinney wants him to eat 5-10 mL/serving. He was able to down 5 mL his first feeding! He'll get the hang of it soon and be slurping down all he can. All that food in his belly made him a tired little dude. After he ate he went right to sleep. We were both pretty tired too so we took his lead and went up to the room to take a nap ourselves.

We went and visited Lewis one more time tonight - during his 8 pm care time. As we were walking in the nurses were just finishing up changing his IV location. Next was fun task of removing the old IV from his head. He did not like that at all and certainly let us know! He calmed down pretty quickly afterward. Then it was time to take his temp, change his diaper, and weigh him. I took his temp, Lauren changed his poopy diaper, and I got to hold him up so we could weigh him. After we got all that done, it was my turn to feed Lewis. He downed another 5 or so mL of milk. He did good today. We stayed with him for a little bit after his care and then headed up to the room for the night.

Here's some pictures from today:

1 comment:

  1. Lauren and Coleman,
    Mom and I are so excited that Lewis is eating so well. We miss you guys and Lewis already. We can't wait to see you all again, and to continue to hear about Lewis' progress.

    Keep up the good work.

    We love you all!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...